Monday, June 16, 2008

Tim Russert, 1950-2008

Andrew asks: hey where's the article on tim russert?!?!

Interesting question. I'm not sure I have anything to add to the hours of tributes to Mr. Russert after his death on Friday (June 13) at the all too early age of 58. But with regard to death and age: I don't think it's as important how long we live (although 58 is really too young) as what we do with the years we have. Russert's early death is a warning to all of us that we don't know how long we have, so we need not to put off what we want to do. Russert clearly didn't.

On Saturday Ann and I went to a major bookstore. While I was at the info counter two people came up and asked for Russert's book about his father, Big Russ and Me. The person behind the counter said they had no copies left, and all bookstores were sold out. Isn't it odd the way we respond to death?

One of the reasons I haven't added to the onslaught of tributes (on air and in writing) is that I wasn't a particular fan. I actually didn't think much about him. He seemed much like most other commentators on the corporate media. I remember vividly that it was on Meet the Press that the vice-presidential Dick chose to spout his lies about invading Iraq. I don't remember any serious challenge from Russert to the Dick's bull. But that doesn't really set him apart from most other media types during the selling of Iraq.

His sudden death at work from a heart attack is already shedding some light on heart problems. That might actually be his true legacy. I think he would be proud of it.

One more thing: I hope they pick a woman to replace him on Meet the Press. Two suggestions I would make are either Norah O'Donnell or Andrea Mitchell - they are both class acts.

No comments: