Wednesday, August 16, 2006

More on free speech in Canada

B'nai Brith's
Frank Dimant

A few more thoughts about Canadian Jewish leader Frank Dimant's dangerous & stupid words: Remember he has called for the Canadian government to prevent anyone from being on the streets of Canada with signs supporting Hezbollah. When I heard him on Tom Young's afternoon talk show, he said that since the Canadian government had labeled Hezbollah a terrorist organization no one should be allowed to parade in their support.
Now why is that ridiculous?
Well, I assume that murder is a crime in Canada, but no one would stop me from advocating the reduction of sentence or other human rights treatment for someone on death row for murder. Shouldn't an advocate have the same free-speech rights with regard to a "terrorist" organization.
Mr. Dimant, I would defend your "free-speech" rights to make these foolish and intolerant statements. Just as I would defend the rights of the Ku Klux Klan to march (at the same time, marching in opposition to them.
But that doesn't prevent me from being ashamed to call you a fellow Jew.

No comments: